Monday 26 August 2013

the last post...

Well... here we are folks, my final and last post of the year!

I am now back in sunny (most of the time at least) England and have been for about a


week and a half. I've been meaning to do this sooner, but it's just been hectic trying to see everyone and fitting myself back into my old life again, as well as preparing myself for the next adventure - Uni!

A view of the entire width of Chile, taken from the plane
So, We spent our last weekend in Chile in the lovely city of Valparaiso - my definite favourite! (other than Cholchol of course ;) ) - where we ate icecream, bought some tat, climbed some hills for some incredible views across the bay and even right to the Andes mountain range on the other side of the country (I know, how absolutely ridiculous!) and of course, made the most of the nightlife!!

We made our way back to Santiago on the sunday, I actually spent Sunday and Monday quite ill with suspected Tonsillitis so not as much sight-seeing in Santiago was done as I would have liked but instead I just had a relaxed few days.

Then came Tuesday morning! The dreaded moment had arrived! We dragged ourselves up and down all the stairs (we were staying in a friends flat, on the top floor!) with all our stuff and out to the front to await a car to the airport. Check-in was fairly smooth, apart from a bit of confusion over the baggage allowance in which I was told I'd have to pay $200 for my bags! We managed to sort that out through the genius of the bag wrapping stand!

Those volunteers who lived in Santiago had families and friends so we just headed on through and met them on the plane.

We made it!
I won't bore you too much with details of the plane journey. It wasn't fun, let's put it that way. Due to the annoying times of the flights, I didn't actually sleep at all for the entire journey! We had a sweltering 2 1/2 hour wait in Madrid before another plane - which was delayed so long causing us to miss our landing spot in London! Luckily, we managed to get another one not too long after and so weren't too late in arriving.

Then all that was left was passport control, baggage claim, some emotional goodbyes and some even more emotional hello's!

And here I am, I have spent the last week and a half catching up with friends and family, I've managed to get myself a job and even joined a gym.

Big hugs were definitely in order!
I am missing the people I met in Chile a lot already, especially people like the Ortiz's and Danielle who I saw nearly every day, and it's still an odd experience walking into a shop and understanding everyone's conversations even when you're not even trying or not really listening.

It's weird, I don't really know how to describe it. I don't think I could tell you what I miss about Chile really, other than the people, I just can't seem to put a finger on it. I do miss the language, I'm still scared I'm going to lose my Spanish and so I know I need to make an effort to keep that going. But other than that, well, maybe it's too soon to tell - I'm still in the flow of discovering things I've been missing out all year at the moment!

So that's my year, over. I wouldn't change it for the world. I've met and worked with some of the most incredible people and made some of the best friends I probably ever will and hopefully, to some of those people, I've made as much of a difference to their lives as they have in mine.
I would never have been able to do anything like this without the amazing support and help of my family, friends and everyone who's contributed, even in the smallest way, to making this opportunity and this dream come true for me. I don't think I could ever say how grateful I am.

Wow - well, whilst that sounds ridiculously cheesy, it's essentially true.

So thanks! (again)

Hannah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment